Friday, April 19, 2013

Researching Diabetes


I actually started my research before I started this blog.  The idea for this blog came from the self-knowledge that I had to be accountable to someone or I might just try to cheat my way through.  So now you know.  You are not only my companion on this journey, but also my confessor.   

Anyway, back to the subject.  I admit that I have forgotten almost everything I learned five years ago in my diabetes class.  Therefore, I have had to start at the beginning reacquiring the facts, not just good guesses, about diabetes.  I decided to enlist the services of my local library until I could be sure I would follow through with this project of saving my life by changing my lifestyle.   

I live in Houston, Texas and our library has an on-line reservation system.  I looked up the subject of diabetes so I could view the list of books available to borrow.  I then opened up Amazon on another page so I could flip back and forth between the two sources. 

I found several books that were well rated by Amazon readers and ordered four used books that my library did not carry.  I then ordered a couple of more books, mostly cookbooks, from the library.  Thus my research had begun.     

I started copying pages of information and recipes I liked.  I had an old 3-ring notebook and some dividers and set up sections for information to read, information to keep, and recipes I liked. 

My first confession is a big one for a diabetic.  I don’t like to cook.  I’m not really a fast food eater but I still would not classify my diet as healthy.  My next confession: Chocolate is my best friend, my love, my everything.  As the song said: Breaking Up is Hard to Do (insert soundtrack). 

So now at this point I had a collection of recipes which must be cooked and do not contain chocolate.  This wasn’t working for me so more research.  Tonight I went to the used book store.  We have a great chain here called Half-Price Books.  I picked up 3 or 4 books that were on the clearance shelf for $1-$3.  I picked up 2 or 3 new cookbooks that were varying prices all under $9.  I walked out having spent $31. 

Personally I think that was a pretty good price for two bags of books but more importantly I learned something about myself.  I was most drawn to the crock pot or slow cooker meals and, surprisingly, there are diabetic crock pot cookbooks.  Ya hoo.  I have now narrowed down my approach.  I feel like I really accomplished something.  I have a place to start.  

This weekend I will pick a couple of recipes from the crock pot, buy the groceries and be ready to assemble the recipes each evening for the meal the next day.  Don’t you just love it when things come together.

More later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment