Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Diabetes and Walking Wednesday


What can I say to you about the need for exercise that you haven’t said to yourself?  I hate to exercise.  I hate to get sweaty.  I hate that “forced-to-do-something” feeling. 

People have said to me, “How can you bear to give yourself a shot?”  My answer is always the same, “Because I feel so much better taking insulin.  The stick of the needle is nothing compared to how much better I feel.” 

Now, I may gripe about the cost of the insulin and I may gripe about running home after a meal out with friends because I forgot to bring my flexipen.  What I never gripe about is how much better I feel twelve hours after that meal than I would have if I had not taken the shot. 

When considering exercise, what to ask your diabetes-self.  Do I feel better after exercising?  Are my numbers better?  Are my spirits better?

Some of these exercise fools will tell you that you will feel so much better after exercising.  I don’t.  I’m hot and sweaty and generally feeling putout.  It only helps a little that I get an adoring look from Buddy Boy for taking him on that walk.  It does not relieve my putout feeling. 

Does exercise pay off for me 12 or 24 hours later?  I will admit that I sleep better after an evening walk.  My low back seems to have stretched out and that ache in my low back that keeps me awake at night seems a little better.  A nice hot shower to wash away the gloom, sweat and exasperation also helps me to get a good night’s sleep. 

My biggest problem with diabetes is morning fatigue and depression.  I do find that I have been waking up easier since I started walking and while still grumpy (I am a morning grump with or without diabetes), I am able to stumble into the shower for a wake-me-up shot of hot, then cold water. 

Is this a benefit from the walk the night before?  I can’t be sure just yet.  While I am sure the insulin shot makes me feel better, I have to consider that the evening walk (two walks on the weekend) might be contributing to my physical and mental well-being.

And isn’t that what you are really asking your diabetes-self?  Would you eat spinach for breakfast every morning if you were guaranteed to sleep better and wake fresher?  Yep.  Spinach omelet here I come. 

Just a thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment